AirCooled VW and Dune Buggy Discussion Forum From Chirco.com
August 21, 2014, 12:59:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for parts for your Air-cooled VW or Dune Buggy,visit our e-Store www.chircoestore.com
If you have questions about our products or services Contact us 800-955-9795 or 520-722-1984

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Filter - to oil or not to oil  (Read 1900 times)

Mike9300
2332cc - Gold Club Member

Mike Weidig
Email
« on: May 12, 2010, 05:36:04 AM »
ReplyReply

So I am sure it has been asked but I would like to hear more up to date info

SO I have the 6 inch tall King Kong IDF air filter http://www.chircoestore.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=133_460_482&products_id=4415

I also have the pre filters or some call it outerware http://www.chircoestore.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4422

So the only "dusty" area I drive in is my driveway (gravel and dirt) other then that I drive on the road!
So would it be better to oil the filters with and or without the outerware?
Right now I am not using oil ... but I think i am going too

Thx
Mike
« on: May 12, 2010, 05:36:04 AM »

Kimbo
Flying Vee

It's always "beer o'clock" somewhere in the world

ksadelaide
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 04:52:29 PM »
ReplyReply

Mike,

Not familiar with that particular brand of filter, but "to oil or not to oil, which is your question, whether 'tis nobler that the engine suffer the cr*p and sh*t of dusty roads or you take arms against a sea of troubles, and by oiling, end them....." sorry don't know any more of that Shakespear quote to be able to b*stardize it further.

Look my two cents worth is that it depends on the filter manufacturer - a lot of them have specific instructions regarding whether you should or shouldn't oil, regardless of whether you live in a dusty area or not - and if you do have to oil, it's recommended that you use their brand of oil - UniFilter/FinerFilter and K&N certainly have "rules" and you can't mix the oils - K&N is more of a spray on cooking oil, UniFilter/FinerFilter is more like treacle.

Check the manufacturers website for your particular filter and see what they say. Outter wear or pre-filters are probably not required for normal road use.

Kimbo

Ex-Vice Pres. Onkaparinga Ramblers Car Club and general all-round good guy.  I'm neither, but give me a dose of Skynyrd and a half pint of Jack, and I'd be waving Ol' Dixie with the best of them.
Rob 57 Oval (Talon)
"you tube" posting offender!!
Global Moderator

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 04:57:16 PM »
ReplyReply

Oiling won't hurt.  It only takes a small particle of junk to get by the filter to ruin your day.  The oil helps trap the smaller particles.  I bought the K & N "recharge kit" at O' Rielys... best $11 bucks I spent, the cleaner alone did wonders.

Kusten Kreuzers... Volkswagens of the Emerald Coast
Reviving a Dying Breed
www.kustenkreuzers.com
Kimbo
Flying Vee

ksadelaide
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 05:16:58 PM »
ReplyReply

Oiling won't hurt.

Probably not in this instance Rob, but be very wary of applying the same principle across the board for all filters, especially if newer cars and warranty is involved - manufacturers will wash their hands of claims as quick as a very quick thing if you haven't followed the exact instructions of the OEM or approved after-market items.

Oils ain't oils, as the popular saying goes, and using the wrong stuff can lead to premature filter (and subsequent engine failure) - the type of element in filter (paper, foam, etc.) the size and number of gaps/holes in it, the specific chemical makeup of the element and the viscosity of the oil, are all supposedly in-tune with one another, screw with one part and the rest of it falls apart. There's masses of discussion on this kind of topic, and many think the whole thing is a bunch of commercial cash grabbing hoo haa - maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

I'm the typical bloke, not one for following manufacturer's instructions, I, being a man, naturally know how things go together/work/break, and therefore instructions are for those other people (LOL), but for something as relatively simple and important as an aircleaner, I'd prefer to play safe.

Ex-Vice Pres. Onkaparinga Ramblers Car Club and general all-round good guy.  I'm neither, but give me a dose of Skynyrd and a half pint of Jack, and I'd be waving Ol' Dixie with the best of them.
Rob 57 Oval (Talon)
Global Moderator

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 05:43:17 PM »
ReplyReply

Point well taken.
  I use K & N filter oil only, and I think the warranty on my '59 may be close to being up.  Grin

But you are very right for new cars.  I had to check with Nissan about the warranty before I put a K & N system on my Titan.

Reviving a Dying Breed
www.kustenkreuzers.com
Mike9300

Mike Weidig
Email
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 06:07:21 PM »
ReplyReply

Good info all and I agree  Wink

So I have been riding quads and dirt bikes for many years, I used the foam and K&N style/brand for all of those years
oilling is a must due to all the dirt and dust from riding in the woods and MX tracks.....but I cant see on the road that much dust  Undecided

So with that all said yes oil can be good (when using the correct type) but it is also harder to clean, I ride my buggy often..... even running to the store or just around town so I tend to clean mine every other week or when I see dust/dirt on them
So if I clean them that much is oil really worth it?

Thx all

Mike

Rick G
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 06:25:54 PM »
ReplyReply

Mike, how much have you got in the motor? If the tiny little particles are not trapped on the filter, where are they? Be nice to your motor Grin

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 06:25:54 PM »

Rob 57 Oval (Talon)
Global Moderator

Email
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 06:36:40 PM »
ReplyReply

I tend to clean mine every other week or when I see dust/dirt on them
So if I clean them that much is oil really worth it?

Thx all

Mike

I take mine off every oil change and clean and oil them.  It is worth the little time it takes to do it.  The streets can get a lot of small junk in there too, not to mention living 1 mile from the beach  Grin  .
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 06:39:06 PM by talon2load » Logged

Reviving a Dying Breed
www.kustenkreuzers.com
buggyman

We're done!,Uh-oh,where's this bolt go?

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 09:20:51 PM »
ReplyReply

Grin
Empi King Kongs use gauze (cleanable & reuseable) filter elements as opposed to paper and should be oiled like the K&N elements Wink to help keep out the microscopic junk:
http://www.empius.com/2010_catalog/empi2010_pg96.html
http://www.empius.com/2010_catalog/empi2010_pg101.html
You use the outerwear pretty much only in offroad open-chassis situations in order to help prevent things like rocks & pebbles kicked up by the rear wheels from damaging the elements Wink .
I ran the same set of K&N's for ~25yrs offroad(Daaaang! Huh Shocked )Grin & just bought the oil,cleaned 'em after every weekend out by spritzing 'em down with Simple Green then rolling them around in a pan filled with a water/Dawn dishwashing liquid solution then clear water from the garage sink faucet rinsed 'em from the inside-out then compressed air blew them from the inside-out & let 'em airdry for a night,spray oiled 'em the next day & reinstalled 'em before doing any other work on the rail in order to help prevent accidently dropping anything down in there Wink .

"but I cant see on the road that much dust....So if I clean them that much is oil really worth it?"
Depends on those conditions you run in Wink ,this pretty much justifies every weekend trip out:

Roll Eyes LOL_Sign Grin .
This:"living 1 mile from the beach" pretty much justifies more like "every oil change" Wink .
 Beer Grin

Everyone knows something.
No one knows everthing.
I know nothing,see nothing,hear nothing.
Yavol,Herr commandant!
blime81

Driven Daily

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 02:20:20 PM »
ReplyReply

Oil and stop cleaning so often.  Cleaning every trip for an offroad ride makes sense, but every oil change is probably about right for a street driver.  No need to do it more often than that, the dirt you are seeing build up on the outside means the filter is working.

Paper filters work like a kichen strainer to keep dirt out, but cotton gauze filters rely on smaller particles being trapped by sticking to the oil.  By not oiling the filter you are allowing these particles to get through.  K&N has a pretty good explanation on this.  http://www.knfilters.com/filter_facts.htm#MYTHS     

As for oil, I'll vote for the K&N kit.  It's designed for cotton gauze filters, it's cheap and the cleaner works real well.  I personally use Maxima Fab 1 oil on my offroad rides.  It's much tackier than the K&N oil but I'm cleaning every trip.

As for the outerwears, if you have them already why not use them?  They keep the larger pieces from sticking to the oiled gauze and protect the filter which all works towards keeping your filter cleaner for longer.  They certainly aren't hurting anything. 

My buddy streches a piece of panty hose over the K&N on his truck for a prefilter.  Personally I prefer those Outerwears to underwear but it does seem to work well and he swears by it.   
Kimbo
Flying Vee

ksadelaide
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 04:58:56 PM »
ReplyReply

....My buddy streches a piece of panty hose over the K&N on his truck for a prefilter.  Personally I prefer those Outerwears to underwear but it does seem to work well and he swears by it.   

Used to do the same thing on my old engine, which ran twin 44's with UniFilter oiled pods, and for which I couldn't get any outter wear covers at the time - and on the recommendation of Buggyman, I believe - and it worked a treat, kept a lot of the muck of the filter, and avoided having to change them over in the middle of a race.

buggyman

We're done!,Uh-oh,where's this bolt go?

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 06:19:04 PM »
ReplyReply

Grin
....My buddy streches a piece of panty hose over the K&N on his truck for a prefilter.  Personally I prefer those Outerwears to underwear but it does seem to work well and he swears by it.   

Used to do the same thing on my old engine, which ran twin 44's with UniFilter oiled pods, and for which I couldn't get any outter wear covers at the time - and on the recommendation of Buggyman, I believe - and it worked a treat, kept a lot of the muck of the filter, and avoided having to change them over in the middle of a race.

"Pantyhose! Huh ,lots of the diehard Glamis and Pismo Beach dudes run pantyhose over the outside of the K&N's in order to pre-filter the filters in uber dry and dusty summer conditions like which you run in mostly:
"Snakebit,
I have tried the slip on 'pantyhose' type covers...
On my 351 they do depress in in the middle when you gun the throttle...No fear of ingestion though. The bad news...at 4500 rpm it starts running real fat....very noticable. I used to have a racing go-kart with a huge stack on it, we literally used "leggs" pantyhose and electrical tape..no effect..I might try that as an experiment when my wife isn't looking."
from
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/medium/Complete_w_Fuel_Inj_03-2007_1.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php%3Ft%3D76049%26page%3D2&usg=__fqrzf318k8I6BRc1mbLpF6LbMK8=&h=525&w=700&sz=113&hl=en&start=12&tbnid=k6ImSMBtJjVSsM:&tbnh=105&tbnw=140&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpantyhose%2Bon%2Ban%2Bair%2Bfilter%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG
from
http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&hl=en&sa=3&q=pantyhose+on+an+air+filter&btnG=Search+images "
from
http://www.chircoestore.com/catalog/smf/index.php?topic=4336.msg27441#msg27441
from
http://www.chircoestore.com/catalog/smf/index.php?topic=4336.0 .

Beer Beer Grin

Everyone knows something.
No one knows everthing.
I know nothing,see nothing,hear nothing.
Yavol,Herr commandant!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: