AirCooled VW and Dune Buggy Discussion Forum From Chirco.com
December 21, 2014, 04:18:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for parts for your Air-cooled VW or Dune Buggy,visit our e-Store www.chircoestore.com
If you have questions about our products or services Contact us 800-955-9795 or 520-722-1984

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Links Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: freeway flyer for a dummy  (Read 19276 times)

Studduck
Redneck Fabrication Crew
2332cc - Gold Club Member

« on: February 27, 2008, 06:38:24 PM »
ReplyReply

hey everybody its been too long since i have dropped in. i finaly have enough time to get the body work done on the 69 bug. and i have been drooling through the e=store and im excited to new stuff the site really looks good. i have always dreamed of regearing my tranny. then i saw the freeway flyer so i did a search on it here in the forum and found gear ratios. but i dont know just exactly what that means i understand that it is higher. but for me and any one else wondering lets talk about it. Grin
here are some questions i have.

about what speeds can one expect in each of the gears. and what rpms do you shift at for best perfomance for day to day driving. and at the strip just for kicks. Afro

instead of asking if a certain engine has enough power how about, are there any engines(stock) that will not have enough ummph.

what are the requirements for the core.

here is a great one for our economy concerned. what is the gass mileage (stock engines) difference, does it increase or decrease.

feel free to ad any questions that i may have forgot. and the most useful thing.... answers.  thankx chircoe you are a valuable resource.

The duck has struck!
« on: February 27, 2008, 06:38:24 PM »

Join the Chirco.com's Facebook Page | .
Chirco.com's Facebook Page
vwdemented
Chirco Staff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 07:15:21 PM »
ReplyReply

The freeway flyer transmission drops the rpm's of the engine in forth gear only. First through third remain just as they are. Fourth gear is used above 40 to 45 mph. Any slowere will bog the engine.
 Core is a 12V transmission,
 A 1200 cc engine or 40 hp, will probably not work with that transmission.
 Fuel milage on the freeway should increase.

John

John Bol
Air-Cooled Tech - Chirco Performance
www.chirco.com
Feel free to call me here toll free 1-800-955-9795
If you have tech questions.
buggdude
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 05:38:24 AM »
ReplyReply

some "freeway flyers" have a higher 4th and some have a 3.88 r&p. the higher 4th will be as john said.. but the 3.88 r&p would up all your gear and you would need torque, at min. a 1600 or bigger
Studduck
Redneck Fabrication Crew

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 11:59:33 AM »
ReplyReply

thanks guys. now on my 69 in 4th gear i can get it to around 85 mph pushing it and for the way i drive that is just fine for me. but as a speed freek i would love to whoop the crap out of my friends truck i have heard stories of people regearing the tranny to where one could cruse at around 80 or so in 3rd. where could someone find such gears im thinkin porche....

also would a flyer be logical for some one who cruses around town and to work and back and maby see a 70 mph limit sign every now and then.. 

what is the difference between the pro street and the flyer

vwdemented
     -when you said speeds above 40 to 45 is that a low rpm speed for the 4th gear and slower than 40-45 depending on the size of the engine's nutz would be the bog point did i understand that correctly..
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 03:11:58 PM by Studduck » Logged

The duck has struck!
Crewdogg998
1300cc - Jr. Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 05:16:36 AM »
ReplyReply

Do you have an engine that would move a transmission geared that high?  Porche can use a higher gear ratio because they have more ponies. Compare it to riding a ten speed in 10th gear. Your gonna go pretty fast but you really have to push it. I don't know if the idea behind this tranny is to to get a Volkswagen to super freeway speeds as it is to make the engine more efficent/work less at noramal speeds. Volksies are not an aerodynamically stable platform at high velocities  Wink
buggdude
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 07:11:56 AM »
ReplyReply

lowered vws are good to about a buck 15.... the land speed record for a stock bodied bug is about 131mph (have some friends that race Bonneville Cool)dropped on its nuts with a lot of ballast weight but thats with out any kind of air spoiler  Wink
fatalifeaten
Spaminator

bblakesley
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 08:30:22 AM »
ReplyReply

Taller tires will help at freeway speeds too. I'm running 225/60's out back and I can peg the speedometer and still have plenty of life left in the 1641. I'm running a 4:12 R/P and stock '67 gears. Like buggdude said, lowering the car will significantly improve it's behavior at speed. It used to start getting floaty around 75 at stock height, now it just hunkers down and flys.

There's plenty of room for all God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 08:30:22 AM »

Studduck
Redneck Fabrication Crew

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 12:22:07 PM »
ReplyReply

thanks guys ill look into the idea of lowering but i dont know if i would be at risk of bottoming out on my backwoods drive way
but it sure would look kool

The duck has struck!
rjwm01
1300cc - Jr. Member

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 06:21:34 PM »
ReplyReply

So this thread has been around for a long time, and it's been even longer since I have posted anything here so here goes. On the Chirco site, what 4th gear would I buy to make the change in my transaxle? Right now I am putting a 1600cc back together with Dual Del 36 DRLA carbs. I am thinking about going to a 1776cc and having my carbs re-jetted to accommodate the bigger engine . Once I have my car done I plan on using it almost daily to and from work, about 40 miles each way with a "posted" speed limit of 70mph. No one drives the speed limit and I don't want to get run over, and I also want to conserve on gas so a freeway flyer rebuild seems to be the way to go and I would like to do it myself. Happy dubbing to you all.
buggyman

We're done!,Uh-oh,where's this bolt go?

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 11:48:21 PM »
ReplyReply

Grin
So this thread has been around for a long time, and it's been even longer since I have posted anything here so here goes. On the Chirco site, what 4th gear would I buy to make the change in my transaxle? Right now I am putting a 1600cc back together with Dual Del 36 DRLA carbs. I am thinking about going to a 1776cc and having my carbs re-jetted to accommodate the bigger engine . Once I have my car done I plan on using it almost daily to and from work, about 40 miles each way with a "posted" speed limit of 70mph. No one drives the speed limit and I don't want to get run over, and I also want to conserve on gas so a freeway flyer rebuild seems to be the way to go and I would like to do it myself. Happy dubbing to you all.

Dayo 01 Smiley ,
Please read all of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_ratio from http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=1.43+To+1+compared+to+1.04+To+1+gear+ratio&btnK=Google+Search&oq=1.43+To+1+compared+to+1.04+To+1+gear+ratio&gs_l=hp.12...4957.113103.1.120173.30.23.1.0.0.1.2143.17898.0j2j3j2j4j2j4j2j3j1.23.0.les%3B..0.0...1c._fVig-_nboU&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=821b4fe16699e1e4&biw=1280&bih=806  Wink .

Beer Grin

Everyone knows something.
No one knows everthing.
I know nothing,see nothing,hear nothing.
Yavol,Herr commandant!
http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?9-Air-cooled
http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?17-The-Volkswagen-Lounge

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: